From around 1966 to 1977 I lived in Royal Windsor. The following are two articles. One on the town, and the other on the famous Windsor Castle.
Windsor (//) is a town and unparished area in the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead in Berkshire, England. It is widely known as the site of Windsor Castle, one of the official residences of the British Royal Family.
The town is situated 21 miles (34 km) west of Charing Cross, London. It is immediately south of the River Thames, which forms its boundary with Eton. The village of Old Windsor, just over 2 miles (3 km) to the south, predates what is now called Windsor by around 300 years; in the past Windsor was formally referred to as New Windsor to distinguish the two.
HistoryWilliam the Conqueror had a timber motte and bailey castle constructed. The focus of royal interest at that time was not the castle, however, but a small riverside settlement about 3 miles (5 km)downstream, possibly established from the seventh century.
Windsor, or as it was called in the eleventh century, Windlesora is first mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. The name originates from old English Windles-ore, or 'winch by the riverside'. The settlement had used an earlier name, but this is unknown. From about the eighth century high status people stated to visit the site occasionally, and possibly this included royalty. From the eleventh century the site's link with the king, Edward the Confessor, is documented, but again, information about his use of the place is scant. After the Conquest of 1066 royal use of the site increased, probably because it offered good access to woodlands and opportunities for hunting – a sport which also practised military skills. By the late twelfth century, and the relocation of the royal household to an enlarged castle in 1110, the site was renamed Old Windsor.
Windsor Castle is noted in the Domesday Book under the entry for Clewer, the neighbouring manor to Windsor. Although this might seem strange, it occurred because plans for the castle had changed since 1070, and more land had been acquired (in Clewer) on which to site a castle town. The fulfillment of this plan did not take place until the early twelfth century. By 1110, important crown wearings (Great Council of state), which had previously taken place at Windlesora, were noted as now taking place at the Castle – referred to as New Windsor – probably to indicate that it was a two ward castle / borough complex, similar to other early castle designs, such as Denbeigh. Henry I – according to one chronicle – had rebuilt it, and this followed the Norman kings actions at other royal sites, such as Westminster, where larger and more magnificent accommodation was thought necessary for the new dynasty's style of kingship. King Henry married his second wife at Windsor Castle in 1121, after the White Ship disaster. The settlement at Old Windsor largely transferred to New Windsor during the 12th century, although substantial planning and setting out of the new town (including the parish church, marketplace, bridge, hermitage and leper hospital) did not take place until c. 1170, under Henry II, following the civil war of Stephen's reign. At about the same time, the present upper ward of the castle was rebuilt in stone. Windsor Bridge is the earliest bridge on the Thames between Staines and Reading, having been built when bridge building was rare, it was first documented in 1191, but had probably been built, according to the pipe rolls, in 1173. It played an important part in the national road system, linking London with Reading and Winchester, but also, by diverting traffic into the new town, it underpinned the success of its fledgling economy.
The town of New Windsor, as ancient demesne of the Crown, was a privileged settlement from the start, apparently having the rights of a 'free borough' for which other towns had to pay substantial fees to the king. It had a merchant guild (known by the 14th century as the Fraternity or brotherhood of the Holy Trinity) from the early 13th century and, under royal patronage, was made the chief town of the county in 1277, as part of its grant of royal borough status by Edward I's charter. Somewhat unusually, this charter gave no new rights or privileges to Windsor but probably codified the rights which it had enjoyed for many years. Windsor's position as chief town of Berkshire was short lived, however, as people found it difficult to reach. Wallingford took over this position in the early fourteenth century. As a self-governing town Windsor enjoyed a number of freedoms unavailable to other towns, including the right to hold its own borough court, the right of membership (or 'freedom') and some financial independence. The town accounts of the 16th century survive in part, although most of the once substantial borough archive dating back to the twelfth century was destroyed, probably in the late 17th century.
Middle Ages, certainly one of the fifty wealthiest towns in the country by 1332. Its prosperity came from its close association with the royal household. The repeated investment in the castle brought London merchants (goldsmiths, vintners, spicers and mercers) to the town in the late thirteenth century and provided much employment for townsmen. The development of the castle under Edward III, between 1350–68 was the largest secular building project in England of the Middle Ages, and many Windsor people worked on this project, again bringing great wealth to the town. Although the Black Death in 1348 had reduced some towns' populations by up to 50%, in Windsor the building projects of Edward III brought money to the town, and possibly its population doubled: this was a 'boom' time for the local economy. People came to the town from every part of the country, and from continental Europe. The poet Geoffrey Chaucer held the honorific post as 'Clerk of the Works' at Windsor Castle in 1391.
The development of the castle continued in the late 15th century with the rebuilding of St George's chapel. With this Windsor became a major pilgrimage destination, particularly for Londoners. Pilgrims came to touch the royal shrine of the murdered Henry VI, the fragment of the True Cross and other important relics. Visits to the chapel were probably combined with a visit to the important nearby Marian shrine and college at Eton, founded by Henry VI in 1440, and dedicated to the Assumption. This place is now better known as Eton College school. Pilgrims came with substantial sums to spend. From perhaps two or three named inns in the late fifteenth century, over twenty nine can be identified a century later. The town again grew in wealth. For London pilgrims, Windsor was probably – but briefly – of greater importance than Canterbury and the shrine of the City's patron Saint Thomas Becket. With the closures of the Reformation, however, Windsor's pilgrim traffic died out. Henry VIII was buried in St George's Chapel in 1547, next to the body of Jane Seymour, the mother of his only legitimate son, Edward (Edward VI). Henry, the founder of the Church of England, may have wanted to benefit from the stream of Catholic pilgrims coming to the town. His will gives that impression.
Tudor and Stuart periodsReformation. The castle was considered old fashioned and shrines to the dead were thought to be 'superstitious'. The early modern period formed a stark contrast to the medieval history of the town. Most accounts of Windsor in the 16th and 17th centuries talk of its poverty, badly made streets and poor housing. Shakespeare's play The Merry Wives of Windsor is set in Windsor and contains many references to parts of the town and the surrounding countryside. Shakespeare must have walked the town's streets, near the castle and river, much as people still do. The play may have been written in the Garter Inn, opposite the Castle, but this was destroyed by fire in the late seventeenth century. The long standing – and famous – courtesan of king Charles II, Nell Gwyn was given a house on St Albans Street's house. Burford House (now part of the Royal Mews). Her residence in this house, as far as it is possible to tell, was brief however. Only one of her letters addressed from Burford House survives: it was probably intended as a legacy for her (illegitimate)son, the earl of Burford, later the Duke of St Albans.
Windsor was garrisoned by Colonel Venn during the English Civil War. Later it became the home of the New Model Army when Venn had left the castle in 1645. Despite its royal dependence, like many commercial centres, Windsor was a Parliamentarian town. Charles I was buried without ceremony in St George's after his execution at Whitehall in 1649. The present Guildhall, built in 1680–91, replaced an earlier market house that had been built on the same site around 1580, as well as the old guildhall, which faced the castle and had been built around 1350. The contraction in the number of old public buildings speaks of a town 'clearing the decks', ready for a renewed period of prosperity with Charles II's return to the Castle. But his successors did not use the place and as the town was short of money, the planned new civic buildings did not appear. The town continued in poverty until the mid nineteenth century.
In 1652 the largest house in Windsor Great Park was built on land which Oliver Cromwell had appropriated from the Crown. Now known as Cumberland Lodge after the Duke of Cumberland's residence there in the mid 18th century, the house was variously known as Byfield House, New Lodge, Ranger's Lodge, Windsor Lodge and Great Lodge.
Georgian and Victorian periodsGeorge III at the Queen's Lodge and, from 1804, at the castle. This started a period of new development in Windsor, with the building of two army barracks. However the associated large numbers of soldiers led to a major prostitution problem by 1830 in a town where the number of streets had little changed since 1530.
A number of fine houses were built in this period, including Hadleigh House on Sheet Street, which was built in 1793 by the then Mayor of Windsor, William Thomas. In 1811 it was the home of John O'Reilly, the apothecary-surgeon to George III.
The substantial redevelopment of the castle in the subsequent decade and Queen Victoria's residence from 1840, as well as the coming of two railways in 1849, signalled the most dramatic changes in the town's history. It catapulted the town from a sleepy medieval has-been to the centre of empire – many European crowned heads of state came to Windsor to visit the Queen throughout the rest of the 19th century. Unfortunately, excessive redevelopment and 'refurbishment' of Windsor's medieval fabric at this time resulted in widespread destruction of the old town, including the demolition of the old parish church of St John the Baptist in 1820. The original had been built in c.1135.
Later periodsMost of the current town's streets date from the mid to late 19th century. However the main street, Peascod Street (pronounced Pes-cod Street) is very ancient, predating the castle by many years, and probably of Saxon origin. It formed part of the 10th-century parish structure in east Berkshire and is first referred to as Peascroftstret in c. 1170. The 1000 year old royal Castle, although the largest and longest occupied in Europe, is a recent development in comparison. "New Windsor" was officially renamed "Windsor" in 1974.
Shopping found inside Windsor & Eton Central railway station . The main shopping street, Peascod Street, includes as an independent department store, W J Daniel & Co., noted for its large toy department, as well as national chains such as Marks & Spencer and Boots. King Edward Court, a pedestrian-only shopping centre, has a Waitrose supermarket alongside other stores including H&M, New Look and Zara.
TourismMaidenhead and Staines-upon-Thames. In winter, Alexandra Gardens hosts a temporary ice rink.
The town is the location of Legoland Windsor, the only Legoland park in the United Kingdom and the largest Legoland park in the world in terms of area. Legoland Windsor was built on the site of the former Windsor Safari Park.
TransportM4 and Slough via a 3-mile long dual-carriageway. Bus services in the town are mostly provided by First Berkshire & The Thames Valley, although a park-and-ride service and one local route are operated by Courtney Coaches.
Windsor has two railway stations. Windsor & Eton Central railway station has a shuttle service to Slough. Windsor & Eton Riverside station provides a service to London Waterloo. Both stations were built at around the same time in the 19th century, as the two train companies which owned the lines both wanted to carry Queen Victoria to Windsor, with the first line opened gaining the privilege. From 1883 to 1885, the London Underground's District line's westbound service ran as far as Windsor.
Windsor has frequent bus services to/from London Heathrow Airport, Victoria Coach Station in central London and Legoland Windsor Resort.
Windsor is linked to the town of Eton (which is situated on the opposite bank of the River Thames) by Windsor Bridge. Originally a fully trafficked road bridge, Windsor Bridge is now for pedestrians and cyclists only and provides an excellent walking route from Windsor to Eton's High Street. To the south of the town lies Windsor Great Park and the towns of Old Windsor, Egham and Virginia Water.
Windsor lies on National Cycle Route 4 (London – St David's). The main access roads serving the town have adjacent cycle paths or nearby alternative traffic-free cycle routes.
Notable residentsHM Queen Elizabeth II and other British Royal Family members, Windsor has many notable residents both former and current.
- Actress Anna Friel spent several years living in Windsor, but moved away in 2007.
- Australian pop singer Natalie Imbruglia owns a house on White Lilies Island in the Clewer village area of Windsor.
- Actor Michael Caine lived at the Old Mill House at the end of Mill Lane, Windsor during the 1960s and 1970s. The house was subsequently sold to guitarist Jimmy Page, of the rock band Led Zeppelin, who sold the property in 2004.
- Actor Kris Marshall used to live in the Clewer area from 2000 to 2009.
- Dhani Harrison, musician and son of George Harrison, was born in Windsor.
- Comedian Freddie Starr lived in Windsor in the 1970s in the St Leonard's Hill area..
- Pop star Lisa Scott-Lee, formerly of the teen band Steps and now a solo performer.
- Margaret Oliphant, 19th century novelist and historical writer, lived at Clarence Crescent. Today the house is named "Oliphant House".
- Ranulph Fiennes, adventurer, explorer and author was born in Windsor.
- Actress Sue Holderness who played Marlene in the long running UK TV sit-coms Only Fools and Horses and The Green Green Grass.
- Sir Sydney Camm, designer of the World War II fighter aircraft the Hawker Hurricane, lived at 10 Alma Road. A memorial in the form of a replica Hawker Hurricane is displayed near Baths Island, close to where the Slough to Windsor & Eton railway line crosses the River Thames.
- Zinzan Brooke, New Zealand rugby union international, who formerly played amateur rugby for Windsor Rugby Football Club.
- Hugh Thomas, historian, was born in Windsor.
SportWindsor's senior football team is Windsor F.C. The team currently play in the Combined Counties League Premier Division and their home is Stag Meadow, granted to the original club by King George VI in 1911. The ground, in Windsor Great Park, is one of the most iconic football locations in the UK. The club's president is the famous BBC commentator Barry Davies.
Windsor Cricket Club's clubhouse and pitches are at Home Park in the shadow of Windsor Castle. The club played host to a 2006 Lord's Taverners cricket match. The Windsor 1st team currently play in Division 2A of the Thames Valley League.
Neighbours, Windsor Rugby Club also use the ground and the team currently plays in the Southern Counties – South Division.
Several other local sports clubs are based at Home Park, including: Hockey and archery clubs, and the Datchet Dashers running club.
Royal Windsor Rollergirls, were one of the first roller derby leagues to be founded in the UK in 2007, they regularly hold games at Windsor Leisure Centre.
For more details on this topic, see Windsor (UK Parliament constituency).Windsor is part of the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead which is administered by an elected unitary authority. The mayor is Cllr Richard Kellaway (Conservative).
The current Member of Parliament for the Windsor constituency (which includes surrounding small towns and villages, such as Eton and Datchet) is Adam Afriyie (Conservative), who was elected at the 2005 General Election. Afriyie is notable for being the first black Conservative in the House of Commons.
In 2012 the council reintroduced the role of town crier to the Borough. The previous town crier had retired in 1892 and for 110 years the post remained vacant.
- Local government legislation in the 1970s referred to the borough as "New Windsor"
- South S.R., The Book of Windsor, Barracuda Books, 1977. ISBN 0-86023-038-4
- "The Parish Church of St. John The Baptist, Windsor. A History". Thamesweb.co.uk. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- Cumberland Lodge: A History[dead link]
- Windsor: a history and description of the castle and the town. John Stoughton, 1862. London: Ward and Co. (pp. 176–177)
- Windsor Royal Shopping windsorroyalshopping.co.uk
- Windsor On Ice 2012 | Home. Windsoronice.com. Retrieved on 17 July 2013.
- Windsor and Maidenhead Town Crier Town Crier Windsor and Maidenhead – Chris Brown. Windsortowncrier.com. Retrieved on 17 July 2013.
- Media related to Windsor, Berkshire at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Windsor and Eton.|