Brian, and Wilma Rittershausen were relatives on my father's side. Back in around 1980, I went to their orchid nursery. It was quite fascinating, and I was escorted around by Wilma whom I got on very well with. Later, I saw Brian (her brother) at home, and he seemed a pleasant enough chap. Sadly, both brother, and sister are no longer with us...They died quite recently, but their legacy to the world of orchids lives on thankfully. The following is a basic account about them, and their work. However, it is in the present tense...but it gives a good basic insight into their world......RS
Brian and Wilma Rittershausen are the professional landscape designers in UK. They are the brother and sister pair in the field of flowering Orchids. Brain and Wilma Rittershausen have orchids in the blood. It has been their family occupation, knowing everything about Orchids. Orchid fascination has been continuing since three generations.
The Brian and Wilma Rittershausen family runs Burnham Nurseries, just outside Newton Abbot. Burnham Nurseries was started by the authors' father, PRC Rittershausen in 1940s.
Brian and Wilma Rittershausen say that "The good news is that the despite being so exotic, orchids are actually not too difficult to grow...as long as you know what you're doing. And, with around 130,000 different types of orchid in the world, there's plenty of variety to choose from."
Awards and Achievements of Brian and Wilma Rittershausen
- The orchids at their Devon nursery have won them gold medals at the major flower shows.
- There are thousands of different varieties of orchid at the nursery, which has won some 15 Gold Medals at the Chelsea Flower Show.
- Brian Rittershausen is a member of the Royal Horticultural Society Orchid Committee, while Wilma edited The Orchid Review for 15 years.
Books Authored by Brian and Wilma RittershausenThey authored many books with some of the big gardening experts. They have published a number of books on orchids.
- Orchids for Every Home - Wilma Rittershausen and Brian Rittershausen
- Orchids - Wilma Rittershausen
- The Complete Book of Orchid Growing - Peter McKenzie Black, Wolfgang Rysy, and Wilma Rittershausen
- Complete Book of Orchid Growing - Peter McKenzie Black and Wilma Rittershausen
- The Gardener's Guide to Growing Orchids - Wilma Rittershausen
- The Gardener's Guide to Growing Your Own Orchids? - Wilma Rittershausen
- Growing & Displaying Orchids: A Step-By-Step Guide - Wilma Rittershausen, Gill Oakey, and David Oakey
- An Illustrated Guide to Growing Your Own Orchids - Wilma Rittershausen
- Introducing Orchids - Wilma Rittershausen and Brian Rittershausen: In this book there are tips on growing conditions and cultivation, and on buying healthy orchids. The book is packed with bright, colourful close-up photos of orchids. The first section, A World of Orchids, introduces readers to species and hybrid orchids. The second section, Orchid Extravanganza, features 80 different orchids - divided into three categories for growers: easy, fairly easy and needs care. The final section is Cultivating Orchids, which gives advice on how to achieve the best results.
Pic reference http://cattlaelia.forumactif.org/t6216-le-grand-livre-des-orchidees-les-connaitre-les-choisir-les-cultiver