Look Ahead, the Slough Hostel




After my period of homelessness I was allowed a place in the hostel known as Look Ahead in Slough. When I first entered my new bedroom it felt strange being back to a place which had four walls! This room was also above the Office of Look Ahead which was run by an efficient staff.


Danger Man.


The hostel had cameras in the corridors to keep an eye on things as many of the people had a variety of problems notably drug taking, and alcoholic addiction. This never worried me as I was none of these. Indeed, unlike a number of the inmates at Look Ahead I have never ever served time in prison...! So, in many respects I was "unique".

However, I did have a problem with one black man who for no rational reason always took exception to me. Once in the corridor he threatened to kill me with a cricket bat he was holding. Apparently, he had very deep, and serious problems with drugs, and  in spite of all this he was said to have an IQ of a genius! It takes all sorts to make a world.

Anyway, in one instance, this man suddenly rushed out of Look Ahead waving a golf club, and was trying to hit whole groups of people outside for no obvious reason. It was bizarre.

I should also add he did actually punch me once  in the face at the car park behind the hostel. I fell over...not a pleasant experience! I did not report this to anyone as I accepted the fact that he was seriously mentally ill, and needed help rather than punishment of any description.



Cry Rape!


One night I was in the internet room of Look Ahead, and I could just hear a woman crying in the corridor, and then heard her enter the Office. Next, I heard the heavy footfalls of a man. He followed her into the Office. It transpired that the woman had accused him of rape! When it went to Court though the case collapsed. The reason being was startling. She had a record for falsely accusing men of rape.


Anyway, unfortunately, she started to come on to me in the internet room. She was trying to get me into her bedroom which ofcourse I did not dare enter...no way!! I even confronted her about the "allegations" which she denied...otherwise she seemed to be a decent, normal, middle class woman in her forties. It seemed "impossible" that she could do such a thing as making false claims.


I should also add that I was nearly raped on two occasions. Once on the road, and once in one of my bedsits. The latter was frightening because the man concerned was extremely muscular, and known to be dangerous. Moreover, he was on the run from the Police!



A "Mad" Man on the Loose.



One evening a man was ranting and raving in the corridor. As usual I was in the internet room at Look Ahead, and I could hear it. Apparently, he somehow managed to take the fire door off its hinges, and it was lying on the floor.  Anyway, he tried to enter the internet room, but I would not allow it. I locked the door. He was shouting "Let me in!" again, and again.  I quickly moved into the Office next door, and J who was in charge there seemed to take the whole situation very calmly. However, I was not going to take risks, and I locked the Office from inside so he had no chance of entering it, and possibly trashing the place. I then rang the Police, and they later came in their riot gear! By this time the "mad" man seemed to have retired into his room, and was dragged out by the police..... fully protected  with their  shields, and headgear. All this could be seen on CCTV in real-time!


The following day I saw the "mad" man who claimed that he had no recollection of what happened the night before. Some say his drink was spiked, and that this drove him temporarily insane.



A Sad Death

Whilst I was at Look Ahead I used to know a somewhat unfortunate person. He seemed to be in a very poor state both mentally, and physically. He used to have free meals next door at Serena Hall. Tragically, he was found dead by a care worker face down in his room with all his "juices" out as she put it. His death was not drugs related unlike virtually all other cases at the hostel. I went to his funeral along with a few others at the Slough Crematorium. I hope he is in a better world where he will hopefully get real help.





File:The Sun taking Z's.JPG




































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Curfew Tower of Windsor Castle

Some Pics from the past.....

The Passing Away of Pater....