On the Road



From mid 2004 to the end of 2005 I experienced a period homelessness for reasons I shall not disclose. It was a strange, and "surreal" event.... My previous bedsit was in Elliman Avenue, Slough. I had a very large collection of books there, and gave them to charity before leaving.


In my homeless state, I initially sofa surfed at a friend's place in Langley. I was there for only three weeks, and I had a distinct impression that my host as it were was "turning against me." So, I left on my own volition without telling him. I knew too he was potentially dangerous as he had a past for violence...... which is a great shame because otherwise he was a very charming, and creative man. But there we are.


Three Attempted Assaults


When one is homeless one is open to any number of negative possibilities including assault. I experienced three near attempts. Once I recall waking up on my bench in the middle of night to find two bizarre people silently looking at me with their tattoos, and odd "hairstyles." Very slowly I started to get up saying nothing to them. I then moved away from them. One of them followed me..he was a stout fellow. Fortunately, the hospital was at hand, and I moved to an area where the CCTV cameras were. I warned my potential assailant that he was "being watched," and it would foolish to carry out any attack upon my person. This believe it or not worked. In the two other situations I merely went to a house, and  rang their doorbell continuously in order to rouse the homeowner to call the police. This too worked...


"Strange" Dogs in Lascelles Park


For a time I slept on a bench in Lascelles Park in Slough. One of the oddest things that happened was the appearance of a few Asian people....walking their dogs around 2am, or 3am in the morning when the Park was "free" of visitors....save myself ofcourse. What was curious about these dogs is that they looked a bit moth-eaten, and aggressive. I suspect, but I cannot prove that these animals were infact used for illegal dogfights. The probable reason why they were in the Park in the early morning was the hope that their owners could let them off their leads to give them some exercise. Unfortunately, I was in the Park ofcourse, and this made things difficult because if they had let them off their leases they would have possibly attacked me. Indeed, I once overheard one of their Asian owners say that he was tempted to do just that...and said such dogs could kill me. So, I left Lascelles Park rather sharpish! 

On the positive side, someone in the night whilst I was sleeping had a slipped a £10 note into my back pocket. More offensively a woman who was with her boyfriend decided to squat close to me with her back to me, and then urinate! Charming...


Eton Place


Sometimes I slept at Windsor, and indeed, Eton. In the latter instance I found two benches  which seemed to be set in a "garden" which was unenclosed. It was connected to a very large communal building. This was at Eton Place.  I used the benches for about a month, but the "respectable" toffee nosed neighbours ofcourse were not happy. It also appeared that I was trespassing. So, one night I returned from one of my jaunts to discover that the benches were covered with some kind of tape, and a message in capitals asking me to leave the area..or else. As a response I simply tore the tape away, and I tried to have a good long nap....but the Police were called, and I had to leave..


A "Friend"


For a short time I had a "friend" who used to accompany me. I will simply refer to him as Z. He was short thin wiry sort of character with black curly hair, and moustache. He claimed that he was on the road now, and again becauses his missus would on occasion loose her temper with him, and thus, he would absent himself from her. He claimed that she had a very high IQ which many people might regard as unusual in Slough! Anyway, he told me about his experiences on the road, and I likewise. But I could not  really tune into him, unlike some people I know. Anyway, just after I was housed I met him once again. He said  that he had terminal cancer, and later died.


There were other adventures apart from the above but I do not have enough interest, and energy to put them on the internet. Maybe another time.




                                   





















































































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Curfew Tower of Windsor Castle

Some Pics from the past.....

The Passing Away of Pater....